Wednesday, September 24, 2008

To Immunize or Not to Immunize.

I took my son to his 2-month check-up this week and my baby is not so small any more. He weighs 8 lbs and 11 oz; and is 21 1/2 inches long. That puts him in the 2nd percentile for his height and weight. But really these check-ups are to start his vaccinations. I chose not to get him vaccinated yet. I want to wait until he is older and bigger. Yes, I am scared that vaccinations might cause autism. Yes, I have been influenced by family and friends who know people who's children seem to have had some horrible side effect they blame on vaccinations. My neighbor's son developed type I diabetes shortly after his 1-year immunizations. He believed it was caused by the vaccinations.



I just want to do what is best for my son. My doctor seemed to think I was doing the wrong thing and tried to convince me or scare me that the vaccines are indeed safe. She told me all the things that could happen if my son isn't vaccinated at 2-months; how sick he could get or that he could die from preventable disease. She also told me the side-effects of the vaccines; which sounded just as scary or scarier than if my son wasn't vaccinated at all. Honestly, I think that five shots at one time is too many for my son's small body to handle at one time.



My sister had a baby girl 12 days after I did and she is not going to begin vaccinating her daughter until she is a year old. One of my aunts didn't get any of her children vaccinated. I have a cousin who never had one shot until he was 19. There are lots of people who, for religious or other reasons, also don't get their children vaccinated. Are they doing what is best for their children? Am I doing what is best for my son? Or have I been swayed by claims in the media and the opinion of family and friends? I hope that I am doing what is best for my son.

1 comment:

Tessa Marie said...

I did all of Sadie's vaccinations about 2 months late, and I still haven't gotten her 1-year ones (she'll be two next month). I'm fine with all of them for my kids except for the MMR (the one people link to autism). I want to get her current on her one-year shots, but I'm still going to hold off on that one and I'm planning to skip the chickenpox one alltogether. I say do what you feel is best as a mom!