Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Delivery

All was going well during the delivery until the end, of course. I never thought I would loose my modesty, but I was numb so I didn't care. I'm very grateful for drugs. I had four doctors and all of them had to poke and prod me. Why so many?, you ask. Well, I had two doctors and they each had a resident. After about an hour and half of pushing, my doctor told us that pushing was not working because the baby's heart beat was dropping dramatically when I pushed. She said that we going into the OR and giving me one final chance to push. If the baby was not delivered then she would use forceps and if that didn't work than she would do a c-section. I was little scared but I had faith in this doctor whom I'd never met until that day. Aren't HMO's wonderful. So Boo was delivered by forceps and I spent an hour getting sewn up.

All seemed well, until that night. Boo was not breastfeeding at this point so the nurse made me bottle feed him. At his 12am feeding I had the nurse take him to the nursery for the night. A short time later she returned with the news that he was being admitted to the NICU for low glucose levels. Not the worst thing that could happen, but it was at that point. So the nurse took me the NICU where they were about to put an IV in my son. They asked if I would like to watch. No, no, no. No need to tramatize us both. For the next three days Boo was hooked up to an IV and was a strict three hour feeding schedule. It wasn't so bad compared to what I would go through over the next 4 weeks.

No comments: