Friday, September 18, 2009

To the bride and groom!!

Two and a half months ago my grandmother died. I really miss her and I can't imagine how my grandfather is feeling. Except that in a few weeks he is remarrying. They say the the sign of a happy married is when the widow/widower remarries shortly after the death of their spouse. Well, this is all really weird to me. My grandma will have died barely three months when my grandma takes a new wife. I know that he has been very lonely and has always had my grandma to take care of him. But it seems a little too soon for me, apparently not for him. Of course , he is not marrying someone that he met off the Internet or has know since the death of my grandma. His fiance is someone he has know for the better part of 60 years. She was his secretary some 30 thirty years ago and her former spouse was his counselor the first time he was bishop. So its not like they just met. Okay, so maybe part of my shock is that you are not supposed to think of your parents, let alone your grandparents, as sexual beings. My mom says that this marriage is not just for companionship. Another part is that he is the only grandpa I have ever known and its strange for me to think of him without thinking of my grandma. My son is lucky to have four living grandparents and two great-grandparents. I am grateful that mine have lived this long and I guess it won't be so bad getting a new grandmother.

No comments: